BENEFITS OF FULL DSA MEMBERSHIP
- Proven legitimacy/credibility - belonging to an Association with an established reputation of vetting its member companies’ compensation plans, compliance to its
Code of Ethics and compliance to Laws of South Africa.
- DSA website listing – (once a full-member) your company name, contact details, product/service description and a link to your website are published on the DSA
website which encourages. recruitment of new Direct Sellers to your company and new customers of your products/services
- Use of DSA logo – full member companies may display the DSA’s logo on their websites, printed marketing materials, advertisements, business cards, etc.
- Membership confirmation – the DSA constantly receives requests from members of the public for confirmation of DSA membership of companies. These
confirmations are being used by members of the public to decide on joining the company as a direct seller or purchasing the company’s product/service.
- Government lobbying – the DSA is in continuous discussions with different departments in Government on various issues affecting the direct selling industry in South
Africa as the DSA speaks as one voice for its member companies. During these discussions, the DSA promotes its member companies and the legitimate business
opportunities that they offer along with the high level of business ethics with which DSA member companies operate in compliance with the DSA’s of Code of Ethics.
- Government Relations – the DSA engages with various government departments and organisations to promote the businesses of its member companies. These
types of meetings have already attracted the likes of the Department of Small Business Development who is keen to partner with the DSA on projects, including
exposure of the DSA’s member companies in rural areas.
- Media Relations – the DSA has embarked on a robust PR campaign promoting the DSA and its member companies and ensuring that the public, Government and
Business Community are aware of the credibility of member companies of the DSA as well as a clear differentiation between all member companies of the DSA who
are credible and legitimate businesses and pyramid schemes and other less legitimate companies and schemes. The DSA is also working with Government
Departments to highlight possible scam companies and schemes operating in South Africa with a view to closing down these possible scam companies and
- Legislative updates – DSA member companies are kept updated with legislation changes and, where required, practice notes are issued to DSA member companies
for their reference and use.
- Local and global industry statistics – on a totally confidential basis, industry statistics are collected locally through an annual questionnaire which assists
tremendously in positioning the direct selling industry to various stakeholders, in lobbying and discussions with Government, in interactions with media, in
brainstorming with Academia and in serving as direction to the DSA for its strategy and decision making. The information collected by the DSA locally also
contributes towards global industry statistics which provides the DSA’s member companies locally with a good idea of the global direct selling landscape.
- Local networking opportunities – through attending DSA meetings DSA member companies have the opportunity of networking with industry colleagues, many who
have extensive experience in the industry all the way up to executive level.
- International networking opportunities – the DSA is kept updated on global trends, innovations and direct selling which are discussed at DSA member meetings.
- Mentoring – the DSA’s office is available to guide member companies in various aspects of their
- Access to industry research – industry research that is undertaken by the DSA South Africa or the WFDSA is made available to DSA member companies
- Academic involvement – the DSA has been running a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) academic programme with the University of Johannesburg since 2002. DSA
full member companies are invited to apply to participate in this programme which has received global recognition and awards.
- Academic programme expansion – the DSA has been in discussions with other institutions around the country to expand its current academic programme nationally.
- Academic programme diversity – the DSA is in discussion with the University of Johannesburg to make available students at its campus, in addition to the students
that are currently participating in the DSA UJ academic programme, for recruitment by DSA member companies as Direct Sellers.
- Academic research – the DSA, in conjunction with the University of Johannesburg, has undertaken and will continue undertaking various research projects to
provide a better understanding of the marketplace and the ever changing mindset of the public in South Africa in relation to direct selling.
- DSA Events – time to celebrate the direct selling industry with external stakeholders at events which would include representatives from DSA member companies,
Government, Media, Academia and Business. The local and global direct selling industry statistics and trends would be presented at these events.
- Industry Awards – all DSA full-member companies are eligible to submit entries for the industry awards and recipients will be announced at DSA external events.
- Code of Ethics - to ensure full understanding of its Code of Ethics, the DSA holds Code of Ethics training workshops periodically with representatives of its member
- Workshops – periodically, the DSA holds workshops for representatives of its member companies that are related to direct selling.
- DSA general meetings – the DSA and its member companies share extensively at these meetings which have included, inter alia, a presentation by a multinational
member company on worldwide research undertaken by the company, tips for a direct selling business, taxation for direct sellers, new service providers, new tools
available for direct selling, interaction with Government, social media trends and ideas, effective customer service insights, motivational speakers, international trends
and opportunities, etc